Skyline
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scene IV - Boats

4 posters

Go down

Scene IV - Boats Empty Scene IV - Boats

Post by Author Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:18 pm

So they do, on a rocky protrusion into the ocean, and Troy and Crystal approach the party.
Phil hops up out of the water with a crab in his hand, then looks at Crystal. "Glrac?"
Crystal jumps back in surprise, but Troy stedies her. "It's alright that's... Phil..."
"Why... Why did you bring back a fish monster?"
"Yeah it's weird, but, take a look at this!" Kai says, and pulls out the ship. The bottle itself looks to be carved from Crystal, with a Sigil inlaid in the bottom. The ship itself look to be about the size of a medium yacht, with a rather real looking skeleton for a mast-head.
"Um..." Crystal seems disappointed at first, then something clicks."That isn't actually a-" Kai nods excitedly, and Crystal puts her hand over her mouth.
"Haven't seen it out in the water yet, that's why we're so far out of town. Shall I?"
Kai points the bottle at the ocean, and it begins to glow. With seemingly cartoon physics the boat squeezes out of the bottle and grows to full size, then settles into the water with a wave that splashes the party.
The party stares in wonder for a minute (perhaps with a witty remark). The ship is inlaid with a silver filigree. Five cannons sit on each side, each with a different colored dragon head. Even the crows nest seems to be laiden with some kind of smaller magic weapon.
Then the skeleton falls into the water.
[Probable PC comment here]
Jasper moves over to look into the water, and then the skeleton climbs up onto the shore. "FINALLY!!!" it - he - yells. The skeleton has large diamonds for eyes, with burning Orange flames functioning as pupils. Crystal leaps back much more dramatically this time - the whole party is shocked to some extent, even Jasper is vaugly startled. The skeleton climbs onto the shore and approaches Kai, still holding the bottle. "My name is 'Jolly' Roger, first mate of the Looming Spectre! And I presume that you are its new captain! You guys had me scared, taking so long to release the ship - I've been stuck in there for sooooooooooooooooo long!"
Kai just blink at him.
"Wait..... the Jolly Roger?" Troy asks, raising an eyebrow.
((History checks))
Author
Author
Admin

https://worldofskyline.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Scene IV - Boats Empty Re: Scene IV - Boats

Post by Mori Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 pm

"No, no no wait. You, you have to be shitting me..." Mori says, mouth open wide and eyes agape as she stares at the legendary Looming Specter and its first mate. She keeps whipping her head back and forth from the brilliant ship to its skeletal occupant. "There is no way I am this fucking lucky. The Looming Specter? The Jolly Roger?"

She pauses for a moment, taking it all in then states aloud to no one in particular. "Well, seems I'm going to need a swanky pirate hat then. And a smaller one for Jasper. That'd be hilarious... pppfffttt! And Lynn wanted to sell this!"
Mori
Mori

Back to top Go down

Post by Author Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 pm

"How many other talking skeletons attached to a ship in a bottle have diamond eyes?"
Author
Author
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy the Cat Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:13 pm

"I'm going to guess none. But, uhm, I'm a little in the dark here. Just who are you, and how did this fucking awesome ship fit in a bottle?" Tracy asks, still quite in awe of the situation.
Tracy the Cat
Tracy the Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mori Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:17 pm

Author wrote:"How many other talking skeletons attached to a ship in a bottle have diamond eyes?"

"Well, there is Sad Steve but no one talks about him." Mori says in response.
Mori
Mori

Back to top Go down

Post by Author Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:32 pm

"Heh, I like you," Roger says, pointing at Mori. "Too bad my name isn't Jim, eh?"
"Well," Troy says, "Jolly Roger is...  Part of a pirate legend, a pirate wizard I believe. Mori, sounds like you might be more familiar with the tale than me."
"And no one more familiar with it than me!" Roger says, "But I'd like to hear what has become of our legend now. Speaking of now I wonder how long it's been..."
Author
Author
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mori Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:57 am

"Oh man, Jolly Jim would have been fantastic!" Mori says with a smile. When Troy requests the legend from her, she raises up a eyebrow and takes on a cocky grin.

"You would like to hear the legend of the Looming Specter? It's a popular tale in the mead halls and inns that I used to frequent. I think I can do it justice... please. Gather around my friends..." Mori starts to wave everyone closer, motioning for them to gather around her. As she does so, her right hand begins to shine with eldritch power. Five curved lines of green magic run up her arm and converge on a point in her palm. With a flick of her wrist and a little flourish, a illusion of the Looming Specter coasting over the seas is conjured before her audience. "For the tale of the Looming Specter that haunted the seas, and it's infamous captain the pirate wizard Hiro Feng..."

The illusion zooms in on the ship, showing a common artists depiction of the elven pirate that looks surprising like Kai standing at the bow of his ship, accompanied by a skeletal figure. "Long ago, in the golden age of piracy there was one captain that managed to fill every sailor with dread. Most whispered rumors he was a demon or a creature of undeath, some supernatural force that would arrive in fog and bring only death." The illusion begins to become cloudy, like a heavy obscuring mist had settled over it. The mists part to reveal a trading vessel sailing along through the fog.

"Once the mists set in, The Looming Specter would appear out of nowhere and close in on its prey. The crew onboard owed loyalty to none but it's captain. Though out of fear or love is a much debated subject. What is known is that they would fight to the last man for their captain and he raided many a vessel over his long career on the seas. But, what makes Hiro Feng truly mythical are not his successes as a pirate, but the wide area over which he ruled. For the long extent of Herofangs reign no ship anywhere was safe from his Specter."

The image zooms in once more, showing Hiro Feng with a obscured face forming sigils in the air. "A more commonly accepted truth amongst the less superstitious captains is that Hiro Feng was one of the first, and most successful pirate wizards. Crafting the mists is by no means a impossible feat, but it seems that Hiro Feng had the best documented skill in spatial displacement ever seen. He could teleport his entire ship with near-perfect accuracy over a massive distance. In no small part aided by our guest here, his first mate Jolly Roger. If Hiro Feng was the brains of the operation, Roger was the... meat and bones."

Mori gives the group a little grin and flicks her fingers, the illusion becoming one of Jolly Roger commanding and running the ship. "Hiro Feng was a wizard, and a powerful one. But every wizard has to spend their attention on sigil crafting. While the pirate wizard was doing his spellcraft, his ever loyal first mate would do the actual running of the ship. And, he never would have to worry about a stray bullet or cannon taking out such a vital part of his operation. If Roger was injured, there are plenty of spells to help repair and bring life back to the living impaired. Much of the success of the Looming Specter was Hiro Fengs, and much of it was Rogers. And that's not saying anything as to the power of the ship itself! As is its with most tales, it's hard to pick apart what aspects could actually be associated with the parts of the legend."

The mists part once more to show Hiro Feng and Roger overlooking the burning corpse of the merchant vessel sinking into the abyss of the ocean. Mori's voice and mannerisms adopt a more dramatic tone as she continues with her story. "Some parts of the legend attribute most of the magical power to the ship. Others say it was just Hiro Feng himself with no crew at all, that the cannons of the ship where fire blasts conjured by the wizard and he'd bend the wind to his will to push the sails. The most horrifying myth though is on the nature of Hiro Fengs crew. See, there is a lot of debate over how he managed to actually collect the crew for the Looming Specter with out many people knowing a lot about it. There is very little documentation about the early part of Hiro Fengs career or his crew outside of the myths with Roger."

Mori leans in close, grinning wickedly and twisting her hands into claws. She waves both of them, and the image of the illusion starts to fly through the ship and down into its belly. "The story that the captains would tell, when it was very late at night and when the candles had almost run out of wax... was that Hiro Feng had no other living crew members. The myth states that Hiro Feng wasn't just skilled at teleporting over large distances, but that he was also one of the most accomplished Necromancers of all time. They say he formed his crew over his long career by reanimating the skeletons of all the best sailors he encountered. If a ships crew put up a particularly good fight, if they managed to impress the pirate king, he would shanghai them into his crew via necromancy." The illusions moves in deeper through the ship to reveal skeleton after skeleton manning each part of the ships operation. "Shanghaiing being the practice of forced conscription common amongst pirate crews." She adds with a bit less of her dramatic tone.

"No one knows how, or even if Hiro Feng died. Some say he retired rich and lived a life of luxury on his blood money far far away from the waters he haunted where no one had ever heard of his tale. Others say he was killed in a clash with a Wolven armada, only falling to his injuries after he had personally burned the Wolven admiral to ash. And some say that he is still out there, somewhere on the waters. That he has perfected his technique so much that he no longer leaves any trace. After all, ships go missing all the time on the seas... My favorite is that he enchanted his ship to fly and is now being a sky pirate and raids dragon hordes. Of course.. These are all just rumors of myth and legend. The fact is, no one really knows much about Hiro Feng in detail. We just know that he was real, that his ship was called the Looming Specter and that he has the record for raiding the largest sea space in history."

And as her story ends, Mori does one last flick with her wrists and the illusion of the ship fires off all cannons while Hiro Feng and Roger cackle like madmen, then it vanishes.
Mori
Mori

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy the Cat Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:05 am

Tracy claps, looking slightly giddy. "That is so fucking awesome! I can't believe this is what we've found. So, Roger. Which one's true? What became of the captain?"
Tracy the Cat
Tracy the Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Author Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 am

"A fan! Excellent job magic one," Roger says, then responds to Tracy. Well, seeing as this is Hiro's boat and most prized possession, I can promise you he's not still out pirating. Hiro was first and foremost an enchanter, an architect of magic, and his pride was this ship. Much of our plunder went into this thing, though it's missing some gems right now."
[Mori receives Inspiration for storytelling]
Author
Author
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mori Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:14 am

"Do you know what happened to him? It's been so long I assume he's passed on." Mori askes, not attempting to hide her curiosity. "I can't see him giving up the ship ever..."
Mori
Mori

Back to top Go down

Post by Luc Weiyn Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:43 am

After Mori's oratory performance, Luc gives an impressed nod; even the laid-back batfolk knows calling this an impressive find would be a severe understatement, and can't help but share in the group's curiosity. "Yeah, what did happen to him, anyway? Why lock the ship up in a bottle? And ah... what was that about missing gems?"
Luc Weiyn
Luc Weiyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Author Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:16 am

"He invented the 'ship in a bottle' so we wouldn't have to leave his precious boat anywhere - just, carry it with him. Anyway, liiiiitle know fact about Hiro, he was an apprentice of Merlin, one of the Wizard Lords of Alexandria."

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa, Alexandria? The City of Magic? Run by a Dragon Wizard?"

"Well Aristotle didn't 'run' it exactly, he just... Tolerated the city wizards built around him."

"Can you take us there??" Crystal asks fervently.

"Hey you want to hear my story or not?"

"I-I..."

"As I was saying, he was the apprentice of Merlin, one of the greatest wizards of all time. He eventually banished Hiro for being too power hungry and bloodthirsty. Hiro was, of course, all of these things, and he proved it on the high seas - that, and that his skills were worthy of his master.

Now, Alexandria is a very isolationist city. They'll do business with others but they stay out of most anything else. But eventually Merlin felt responsible for helping to create the monster that was Hiro Feng - at least I think that's what he thought - and hunted him down. Oh it was a glorious battle, the archmage Merlin and Hiro Feng doing battle in the middle of a huge thunderstorm in the middle of the ocean! There were explosions and... *sigh* it's a little fuzzy, Merlin might have wiped some of it from my memory.

See, after that battle, Merlin bound me to serve whoever held the bottle, instead of Hiro. Then eventually he gave me to Aristotle, who gave it to his daughter, who - I shit you not - went adventuring with me and my boat, and we picked up a Dhampir and a panther... *sigh* those were fun times actually. Anyway, eventually after several years she got tired of that life and... I'm not sure actually what she did, but she gave me to another crew of adventurers. So I got passed around awhile as people died or gave me to their kids or what not, and THEN my last crew got sucked into a fey portal! Apparently a bunch of fish came through the portal with us so the Shi we happened upon turned them into monsters and had them eat the crew, then had them go out another portal and carry me along. And then I was in that cave. With fish people. FOREVER.

And then you guys came along and rescued me! Seriously don't feel bad that I'm "Bound to Serve," I really JUST want to sail again, so long as we're doing STUFF and not dacing around chanting in a cave. Oh and the missing gems... Welll the ship needs gems to power a lot of its systems, and some of the previous crews sold bits and pieces of the ship when they got strapped for cash or what have you. So I think invisibility is gone, the topography reader is powered down, a few of the cannons are out, though most still work, especially the magic missile thing in the crow's nest. Still, it goes real fast, has a big tank that purifies sea-water and runs it through the kitchen and baths, and it's bigger in the inside! Seriously it might not look that big, but Hiro put like a full mansion in this thing, luxury and all. Oh, and the bar transmutes water into different drinks."

"So... The city..."

"Right, well, anyone have a map of the region? I have no clue where I even am."
Author
Author
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mori Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:38 pm

"Ah, fey portals. Get you every time." Mori says with a click of her tongue and a shake of her head. When Roger asks about the maps, she looks up at him and answers "Yeah, I have a couple actually. Back in a previous life I was a pretty successful navigator and made it a habit to pick up maps of every town I docked at. Times have changed, but I still collect maps. Got a couple of the local area in my bag right here." She then pulls out the tube containing the local area and hands it to Roger.
Mori
Mori

Back to top Go down

Post by Author Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:05 am

Roger takes a look at the continental map. "Hmm... Yeah this place looks somewhat familiar, I think we're southwest of it."
Crystal puts both hands to her face this time, and tears well up in her eyes.
"I'm guessing we're going northeast."
Kai pauses and turns to address the rest of the party. "Well, I guess we need to talk about that. See... we three left home with the unrelistic dream of finding the City of Magic. This boat on its own is the find of a lifetime, but now we're closer than we thought we'd ever get to Alexandria. But you four also have a share in this find. So, if you don't want to leave everything you've ever known in search of another myth, I understand. We'll... Compensate you somehow. But I ask you to come with us, to sail past the edge of the map, to chase one legend with another and see the world along the way. Who's in?"
Author
Author
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy the Cat Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:35 am

"You had me at City of Magic, then lost me at leaving everything I've ever known, then had me again at oh wait I've already done that. I'm in," Tracy replies, a smile on her face. "I don't even need to pack. Everything I own is either on me or in my bag."
Tracy the Cat
Tracy the Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Luc Weiyn Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:44 am

"Well guys," Luc says with a forlorn sigh, "It's been fun and all, but... I dunno. I like things a bit more low-key, and I think this is just- well... it's just a bit too grand for me, you know. I am fond of you guys- really, I am, but I think it's about time I..."

Try as he might to suppress it, he lets out a snicker. "Snrrk... nope, nope, couldn't pull it off with a straight face. I couldn't quit you guys that easily, of course I'm in. When do we set sail?"
Luc Weiyn
Luc Weiyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Mori Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:20 pm

"Well, it seems everyone else did that 'naaah-okay yeah' joke so instead, sure. Well, only on one condition actually." Mori gives Kai a hard look, then points to herself and Jasper. "I want you to buy me a pirate hat, and I want you to buy Jasper a little pirate hat that would fit her. Because it would look adorable."
Mori
Mori

Back to top Go down

Post by Author Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:16 am

"I... Can do that!" Kai says. Jasper leaps up onto his shoulder.
"Jasper want a cracker!" She says.
"So how about it, Lynn?" Troy asks.
She lets out a long breath. "What the hell, further away from home the better. And it won't be boring around you guys, I bet."
Kai let's out a sigh of relief. "Alright then, shall we take a look at the ship!"
Author
Author
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy the Cat Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:20 am

Tracy slaps Lynn on the back in a friendly manner. "That's the spirit! We might just get along after all, bitch," Tracy says before turning to Kai. "What the hell are you asking that for? Of course I want to see it. Let's do this!
Tracy the Cat
Tracy the Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Author Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:01 pm

The party walks onto the ship, Phil munching on his crab.
"So there's a couple reasons we have the cannons up here top deck. One, easier to let them swivel. Two, to keep the inside sealed, since it's bigger inside it needs to have only a few well speared openings. In from you can see we have a standard ballista. Not magic I know, but we like to use a, 'special' ammunition with it. "
In the back is a raised deck of the ship, upon which is the ship wheel. "So back there is the captain's quarters, but if you'll follow me..." Roger leads the party down a trap door, wherein it suddenly becomes an intricate mansion staircase. The pirate ship aesthetic is mostly replaces by a royal one, colors of white, purple and blue. The hall is decorated with weapons, armor and the skulls of several creatures, including dragon skulls. "So, we have bedrooms on either side of this hall, at the far end is the captain's room - also accessible from the office above it of course."
Author
Author
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down